When asked a question that you don’t know the answer to, don’t do what most people do and say “I don’t know”, “It’s not my job” or “speak to that person, over there”. Take control and be a multi-directional sign-post’er.
Direct customers to someone that knows, but careful with this one, you don’t want to be accused as having sloppy shoulders.
1. Remember to assess the situation
2. Understand the urgency of the request
3. Establish the mindset of the customer
4. Consider doing the ground work yourself
5. and then providing the answer